Saturday, August 17, 2013

Why Publish

I wrote Silent Symphony because I am a storyteller.  I am publishing because I have a dream.

I graduated after five years of engineering classes with a grand total of less than $1000 in scholarships.  The rest of my education was graciously funded by student loans.  Needless to say, money is not in abundance after struggling for a year  to find a job in a difficult California economy after graduation.  But, I have a job now and I can pay my bills.

My little brother is starting his college career in September going to my alma mater, Cal Poly Pomona, and majoring in my major.  Don't ask me why, I had nothing, literally nothing, to do with his decision making process.  Also like me, he is receiving 0 financial aid relying entirely on student loans.  I know how hard it is to pay the bills fresh out of college and I want something better for my little brother.

My husband is a brilliant man, truly.  He taught himself computer programming and has over 15 years of experience.  He knows at least 13 programming languages and has spent the last God only knows how many years working on a complex encryption program in his spare time.  He works at Staples.  Due to family pressures and conditions, he barely graduated high school and joined the Air Force Reserve fresh out of school as a Aerospace Ground Equipment technician.  Basically, he became a mechanic.  For a while, he worked at Home Depot to pay the bills and then got an amazing job at Union Pacific Railroad.  Unfortunately, after drama too annoying to blog about, he lost his $21/hr job at the age of 21 and became practically unemployable.  He tried going to college several times, but due to financial constraints and a difficult learning style, he never caught a break.

My goal in publishing my book is to be able to finance their college educations.  They are both brilliant men struggling to fulfill their dreams and I want to help.  I want to share my success and give them the chance they never had.  I want them to have a better life than I have and give them the opportunity to succeed when they fell through the educational cracks.

If my book becomes enough of a success, I hope to start a foundation providing scholarship opportunities for middle income families.  I want to help people who don't qualify for scholarships because they make just enough money to survive, but not enough to thrive.  I want to help the people who can just barely pay their bills, but can't possibly hope to do anything else.  I want to change the financial aid system, even if in a minuscule way and help people go to college.

No comments:

Post a Comment