Saturday, August 17, 2013

Its a Pen Name

I knew from the beginning I wanted to publish under a pen name.  I am not embarrassed by my work, but as a young, female engineer, I didn't want my career to be adversely affected by my hobbies.  So, I choose a pseudonym.

Alexis:  I have often loved the sound of "Alexis," even as a child.  But then Castle aired and I fell in love with it.  For those of you who have never seen the show, first off, you should try it.  It is hysterical.  Secondly, Alexis is the main character's daughter, played by Molly Quinn.  She is a well-grounded, logical, compassionate, multi-faceted, dynamic, and intelligent daughter of a crime novel writer named Richard Castle (played by Nathan Fillion).  In one episode, Alexis and another girl are kidnapped.  Don't worry, no spoilers if you are behind the times.  Alexis is calm, cool, collected.  She is obviously freaked out, but she maintains her demeanor and figures out how to escape using the eclectic skills her father taught her while researching his numerous best selling crime novels.  Alexis became a sort of idol for me.  She personifies everything I hope to be.  Thank you, Ms. Molly Quinn, for bringing such an amazing character to life with your upbeat and charismatic performance.

Rhodes:  As I said in my profile, my mother discovered I was illiterate when I was 10.  Learning to read required me to find a venue I enjoyed.  A friend introduced me to a child author by the name of Amelia Atwater-Rhodes.  She wrote a series of young-adult vampire novels and published her first book when she was 16.  She helped me find reading enjoyable.  Now that I have written my first book, I find her more of an inspiration considering her publication at such a young age.  Thank you, Ms. Amelia Atwater-Rhodes for your amazing stories and inspirational history.

These two women have been a powerful inspiration and I look forward to many, many more delights from them.  Thank you so much, Ms. Molly Quinn and Ms. Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, for just being incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment